TEENS TAKE CHARGE | February - June, 2017
Teens Take Charge is a teen driven program designed to explore, create & celebrate community through public art!
Teens Take Charge involves teens ages 14-18 in exploring the visual arts through projects, visits to artist studios, and creating an art event! All are welcome! who are interested in the arts. There is no requirement to ‘be a good artist,’ but all participants should be willing to work together to create something unique for the community.
Teens Take Charge participants will:
- Get to know other teens interested in the arts
- Hear about careers in the arts, and meet artists of different backgrounds who work with public art
- Visit cool art places, like galleries, artist studios, live/work spaces, etc.
- Design and present an amazing work of public art (sculpture, installation or painting)
- Plan a community-wide arts event for youth, with live music, an artist market, and art activities, at the Pence Gallery
- Learn how to work together and take roles in marketing, planning, graphic design, social media, and volunteer management
- Learn about a nonprofit art gallery & strengthen your resume and college applications
Who can participate in Teens Take Charge?
- Teens ages 14-18 who reside in Davis or other communities
- Experience or interest in the arts (music, dance, video, painting, sculpture, fashion, website development, photography, graphic design, drawing, etc.)
To apply by Tuesday, January 31st at midnight:
Send answers to the following questions below to Natalie Nelson at email@example.com. Each answer should be 300 words or less:
1. Tell us about yourself (Name, School, grade, interests, hobbies, your background in art, etc.)
2. Why do you want to participate in Teens Take Charge?
3. What will you contribute to this program? (This can be certain skills, your attitude, background, etc. Be creative.)
A $45 program fee is required upon acceptance made payable to Pence Gallery, and includes a Pence membership. (Scholarships are available based upon financial need. Contact Natalie for more information.)
Participants will be announced via email by February 12.
Teens will meet Saturdays 10 am- 2 pm on the following dates:
February 25 | March 4, 11, 18 | April 8, 15, 29
May 6, 13, 20 | June 3, 17, (Friday) 23.
Sat. June 24th: Summer Art Event (2 – 8 PM),
Sun. July 6th: Dinner & Wrap-up (6 - 8 PM)
Teens must make a commitment to attend. Please do not apply if you cannot make these dates.
Contact Natalie Nelson: firstname.lastname@example.org or 530.758.3370 (voice mail 2)